Mix Feeding: Breastmilk and Formula

Hi! Feeling emotional today *sob*

Amidst the quarantine, I just gave birth to a healthy baby girl.
I am thankful and I am happy.
I am blessed.

Challenge arises. Back in the hospital, my baby started to latch and nurses had taught me how to proceed on having to breastfeed my baby. I was on C-section, by the way. Too eager to move but I can’t. So, I was nursing my little one whilst lying down. Everything was okay until I felt pain during breastfeeding. I started to get sore and my nipples started to bleed. So painful I thought I could not take it any longer and my baby started to get more fussy and crying after being fed. I spent few more days in the hospital, we are supposed to get discharged on the third and fourth day. Unfortunately, extended few more days due to financial constraint but we have it resolved. Thank goodness. Back on breastfeeding, I have noticed that my baby begins to tug my nipple so hard, she’s not getting the milk that she needs. I have been reading through various articles, commentaries on Facebook, posts and watched some videos on Youtube, I knew that there is something wrong on having that proper latch. I thought I couldn’t do it anymore because both of my nipples are bleeding and wounded. I started crying. I have asked for help to request for extra ounces from the hospital’s NICU section. They were nice, explained to me about certain things that these extra milk were not for giveaway and has cost. I totally understand. They have given my baby few ounces whenever she can’t get enough from me.

As luck would have it, the patient next to my bed was a huge succor to me. Her newborn was in the NICU and she consistently pumps every 2 hours, nursing her baby. During the first few days we are at the ward, my husband had mentioned to me about the condition of the baby next to us, I asked him to probably spend time to ask how they were and start some conversation. He’s not that type of person, kind of awkward knowing that their baby is in the ICU. When I started to have a difficult time, the patient’s mother began to talk to us. We had numerous chattering and had the ease to share each other’s life stories and experiences. Until she mentioned that her daughter was interested in helping me with the share of milk for my baby. She has a lot of milk production that also made her uncomfortable. I told my husband about it and we felt that it’s embarrassing to ask for it. I just thought that my baby is getting hungry and I can’t do anything about it but to ask for real assistance.

The hospital promotes exclusive breastfeeding so it isn’t the right avenue to talk about formula feeding. I felt that I have to go home and give bottle to my baby because she’s getting real irritated and tired of asking for more. I asked my husband to reach out to the lady beside us and she was more than willing to give. If only I could give back more than I could, but my husband has prepared extra meal for them the next morning after we asked for feeding like twice or so. So glad that I felt my newborn was contented and had like a milk coma.

Until that day they have to leave the hospital, for discharge. Bid goodbye, wishing them well specially their baby and I am thankful for their kindness. Then after that, I continued to rely on NICU’s milk supply when my baby starts crying after I breastfed. Nurses and other staff were really supportive as they have mentioned I have enough milk supply, I just have to give my baby the proper latch and that was my goal. I thought that when I reach home, I’ll be drinking lots of fluids and eat malunggay. As I do so, I plan to continue on breastfeeding.

And this was not the case. We went home after almost a week, had everything ready and everyone has been celebrating and I was happy, of course. Thanking God that the baby is okay. We went home safely and everybody’s excited about the baby. My husband and mother-in-law went off to buy some stuff including the milk formula to supplement baby’s need. We told family members about my dilemma and received advice about how to increase my milk supply. I decided to temporarily cease breastfeeding as I wait for my wound to heal and prepare myself to do breastfeeding again. We began to give her formula which I believe it’s going pretty well, had couple of wet nappies and no signs of upset stomach.

The real challenge here is that, there is this quarantine and it’s frightening to be exposed outside due to a pandemic. No checkups, no labs, no clinic as of the moment. We just have to make sure that our baby is being taken care of and properly fed. As my scars go away, I started to breastfeed my baby again, I got the proper latch, had continued nursing but still, my baby can’t get enough. Most of the time formula feeding allows her to get that good amount of sleep. I continue to get more information about breastfeeding, I just thought I needed that pump. Little did I know I will be needing that which I should’ve bought in the first place. Now, in the middle of a lockdown, not sure how to obtain it, we could but with some additional cost.

I had initiated to do hand expression and I noticed change on my milk supply. I got a few blocked milk ducts and tried to get them away by putting some hot massage. There were a lot of conversation around breastfeeding which is a very sensitive topic, somehow creates misunderstanding and real differences in opinion arise. As for me, I just felt that I am not giving the best for my baby and had to supply her with formula. It is really comforting that I have read testimonies and watched videos of other mothers whose situation’s the same as mine. I think I just need support, I feel sad sometimes, but I have to be strong, for my baby and for her well being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

Dealing with the Loss of a Loved One and the Pandemic